21 October 2023

S 042 P and UAA170 from the cellar

At a local flea market I bought a plastic drawer parts storage cabinet with 25 compartments. Drawers had unsorted components inside, mainly carbon resistors with 1W or more rating. At home I emptied everything so that I could wash it and I found some interesting parts, like:

  • "S 042 P" mixer IC
  • "UAA170" LED driver
  • "TDA1200" FM-IF
  • SGS BFT 56 with extra long legs

Considering the ICs I found in the lot I think the previous owner wanted to build a stereo FM receiver kit from the Italian magazine "Nuova Elettronica" (https://www.adrirobot.it/lx-193-sintonizzatore-fm-con-decoder-stereo/).

When I was a teen I was fascinated by the project of a shortwave receiver using an "S 042 P" IC, that I've never been able to meet in the wild for the following 35 years! I think it was already discontinued or obsolete when the article was printed. I wonder if I could finally build that project now!

In the meantime I might try building a running light with the UAA170 and a 555. It could even be made into a freeform sculpture .