03 March 2024

Tektronix VX1405 power-up sequence

Could I refrain from powering up the Tek VXIbus mainframe? I do have a rather equipped "lab" and this was the chance to use several power supplies at once.

I needed 5V at few Amps (estimated 3 to 6), +12V at 2A and -12V at 0.5A. Without rearranging the whole desk I had to limit the +12V at 1A, but that's easy: unplug fans!

Since I cannot get an automatic proper power-up sequence, I opted to implement the most logical one: 5V goes first, then +/-12V and as last the second (internal) power supply with the remaining "service" voltages.

At 5V only without any plugin it draws 3A. With the command module that increases to 3.7A. 

Without fans the +12V sits at 0.5A and -12V a fraction of 0.1A.

If the command module is installed, at this point it shows two red dots. Then I pressed the power button on the rack that controls the left over PSU and in a couple of seconds I got a green "Ready" sign. See the video below, you can hear me pressing the rack button.


At this stage it is possible to keep the rack powered with a retrofitted external power source and test the command module and plugins. This test would require too much room for my small lab, so it will remain documented for the future repairman.