06 April 2022

Three hundred thirty three mA

In-person HAM flea markets are back in business after the pandemic years, at least here in Italy in April 2022. I was looking for some wall-wart power supply for (my future) circuits that use Vacuum Fluorescent Displays (VFD).

Most VFD's do light up with an anode/grid voltage as low as 12V, but higher brightness require more, like 20-40V.

From a box of wall-warts I dug out a 30V power adapter from an HP printer curiously rated at 333 mA. Why "three hundred thirty three"? Did they really design a circuit that stops working at 334 mA? Or the design requirement was 330 mA and the designer responded with 333 mA?

Since it's the time, sound like an April's Fool or an Easter Egg to me.

I will need 100 mA for the filaments in series, 10 mA for grids and the rest for digital circuits: I should fit within the 333 mA limit.