20 June 2007

IK1ZYW/5

This is not really a homebrewing post, but I finally managed to get to use the stuff I built.

During a holiday in Toscana I could spare some 30-minute packs for radio activities. The shack was in the bungalow bedroom, on the bed:


FT-817 on the pillow, with earphones and homebrew CW paddle. Pencil and paper log, mobilephone as a watch. Hanging on the window a homebrew LC-tuner (my version of "ALT") with 5 switchable series inductances (0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 uH) and 200pF swappable IN-OUT across capacitor.

The radiator was made of 12m of wire held vertical with a 9m fiberglass fishing pole, then 3 random counterpoises were laid on the ground:


This antenna tuned on all bands between 80 and 6 metres, including WARC. I had contacts on 80, 40, 20, 10 and 6, including some 2xQRP on 20 and 40m.

After the first few days I switched to battery power because the old laptop power supply was generating too much RF noise. Power has been 2.5W or less.

The 2600mAh pack gave about 3 hours of CW operations at 2.5W, with a 40/60 TX/RX rate.