10 February 2018

First MW reception on the RD-160

So, with the lamp limiter just built I could dare to power the Radiomarelli RD-160 medium wave receiver.

I scrounged home for filament light bulbs and I located 40W, 60W and 100W.

I stared with 40W, that lit up and nothing came out of the receiver. Maybe I wasn't patient enough, or its rating is just too low.

One step further to 60W and ... after the first bright flash, the lamp dim dim dim .... until some noise comes out of the receiver! The residual light is very warm and pleasant too! It works!! It receives RAI1 broadcast on 999 kHz and nothing else.

Problems noted:
  1. When the tuning capacitor blades go towards full mesh the local oscillator stops: there's a short.
  2. The volume control crackles
  3. Knobs don't hold tight on the shaft because their plastic is cracked near the screw
Not bad at all! It is electronically fine! Now I will replace capacitors.